How to connect SimpleMind for Windows to a cloud
SimpleMind for Windows can connect to any cloud, as long as the cloud app creates a directory on your computer and syncs that directory to its cloud. SimpleMind relies on this cloud app for the actual synchronization.
Step 1: Connect SimpleMind for Windows to a cloud/external directory.
- Install the cloud app of your choice, for example Dropbox.
- Click the add cloud icon, next click “Add Cloud”.
- Select “Kind”, for example Dropbox.
- Enter a title.
- Click “Browse” and select the root of the cloud, for example C:\Users\name\Dropbox
Please note: Do not select a folder in Dropbox, for example C:\Users\name\Dropbox\folder. This will cause problems when syncing with other computers/devices that have SimpleMind installed.
- Press OK. This adds a new cloud tab in the Mind Map Explorer.
- Click this cloud tab to see all folders and relevant files in the cloud.
Step 2:Copy existing local mind maps to the cloud.
Local mind maps are not synchronized with the cloud. If you want to store and sync an (existing) local mind map on a cloud, you need to copy the local mind maps to that cloud. This is a one-time copy.
- To copy, right click – “Copy/Move”.
- Select the folder you want to copy to and click “Copy”.
- You can now delete the copied local mind maps, they are now mere copies.
Step 3: Work directly from the cloud
Mind maps open and save directly in the external folder (cloud). The cloud application synchronizes the changes in your mind map.
- Open mind maps from within SimpleMind only. Opening a mind map from outside SimpleMind, for example via the Dropbox app or the explorer, will import the mind map as a new local mind map.
- Collaboration Real time collaboration is not (yet) possible. Only one person a time should edit a mind map. If two persons edit the mind map at the same time a duplicate copy will be created to prevent any losses.