- How does licensing work?
- Where can I purchase SimpleMind?
- Can I purchase different platforms in a bundle?
- Can I add another platform to my existing license?
- Can I transfer my existing license to a new platform?
- Do you offer discounts?
- What’s the difference between the Free and the Pro edition?
- iPad/iPhone: What’s the difference between SimpleMind+ and SimpleMind Pro?
- Mac: What’s the difference between the Apple App Store edition and the SimpleApps edition?
- What languages are available?
- How can I install SimpleMind on my other/new device?
- Can I keep working with the mind maps I made in SimpleMind+ / Free?
- Can I keep working with the mind maps I made in the trial version?
- Android and iPad/iPhone- Problems installing SimpleMind?
- Mac – Problems installing SimpleMind?
- Windows – Problems installing SimpleMind?
- Share with others
- How to share or export mind maps
- Importing files and mind maps
- How do I exchange mind maps with other devices running SimpleMind?
- I cannot share my mind map
- My trial expired, have I lost the mind maps?
- I cannot edit or move topics
- I have trouble printing
- Links and/or images don’t work between SimpleMind for Windows and another platform
- I see a trash can image in the mind map
- Which keyboard shortcuts does SimpleMind support?
- Can you restore my mind map?
- I cannot add a link between 2 topics
- I cannot see the list of mind maps – Desktop
- What data do you collect?
- Do you share my data with others?
- What permissions does the Android edition require? – And why?
- Do I need an account to use SimpleMind?
- Does SimpleMind offer password protecting Mind Maps?
How does licensing work?
SimpleMind is available for the following platforms:
You need one license per platform and you pay only for the platforms you use. You can install SimpleMind on all your devices for that platform as long as the user (ID) is the same. For example, if you have 1 Mac and 3 Android devices, you need 1 license SimpleMind for Mac and 1 license SimpleMind for Android.
Where can I purchase SimpleMind?
- SimpleMind for Mac and/or Windows is purchased directly from SimpleApps,
- SimpleMind for iPad/iPhone is sold via Apple’s iTunes only
- SimpleMind for Android is sold via Google Play Store
Can I purchase different platforms in a bundle?
It’s not possible to purchase a single bundle for multiple platforms.
Only SimpleMind Desktop is available in a Mac and Windows bundle. Purchasing links…
Can I add another platform to my existing license?
Can I transfer my existing license to a new platform?
Unfortunately this is not possible. You need a license per platform.. We do offer discounted multi-user Desktop licenses, but only upon initial purchase.
Do you offer discounts?
We like to keep it simple. You need one license per platform and you pay only for the platforms you use. SimpleMind is sold at the sharpest price possible per platform. Always.
As a result, we have no special discounts, such as student or reseller discounts. We do offer multiple desktop licenses at a very large discount, those prices are visible when you purchase SimpleMind Desktop.
What’s the difference between the Free and the Pro edition?
We’ve made a matrix that shows the main differences. Read more…
iPad/iPhone: What’s the difference between SimpleMind+ and SimpleMind Pro?
SimpleMind Pro is the full functionality App as sold from iTunes.
Simplemind+, without In-App purchase, is a free edition with basic, but powerful, mind mapping features.
Simplemind+, with InApp purchase has full functionality and is identical to SimpleMind Pro.
Mac: What’s the difference between the Apple App Store edition and the SimpleApps edition?
SimpleMind for Mac is available in 2 editions, the App Store edition from Apple’s App Store and the SimpleApps edition as sold via our website.
The editions are mostly identical. However, due to Apple’s security measures (Sandboxing) some features are not available in the App Store edition. For example, linking to a file on your computer or importing the bookmarks of a .pdf are not available in the App Store edition. Additionally, the App Store edition sporadically has problems due to sandboxing. We recommend the SimpleApps edition.
What languages are available?
SimpleMind is available in:
- Android: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
- iPad/iPhone: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish, simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese.
- Mac: US English.
- Windows: US English only. The spellchecker by default uses US English, it’s possible to install additional spellchecker languages. Read more…
Install and reinstall
How can I install SimpleMind on my other/new device?
How you (re)install SimpleMind depends on where you purchased it.
- Android (Google Play Store edition) – Read how in the Google Play Store help.
- Android (Amazon edition) – Read how in the Amazon FAQ.
- iPhone/iPad – Read how in Apple Support
- Windows or Mac (SimpleApps edition) – You can use the original download and activation e-mail to (re)install SimpleMind. Should you not have this, please contact us and include the original e-mail address and order number or include the registration key as displayed in SimpleMind – About.
- Mac (App Store edition) – Read how in Apple Support
When you change devices, make a back-up of the local mind maps and import those on the new device. Read how…
Using multiple devices?
When you use multiple devices, use Dropbox or Google Drive to sync mind maps across devices. Read how…
A SimpleMind license is valid for a single platform only. The license for 1 platform cannot be used on another platform. For example, when you change from Android to iPad or from Windows to Mac, you need an additional license.
Can I keep working with the mind maps I made in SimpleMind+ / Free?
The first time you start the Pro edition it will automatically offer to transfer mind maps you created with SimpleMind+ / Free. You’ll see a notification when this is complete. After you checked all mind maps are imported into SimpleMind Pro, you can uninstall the free version.
Should this not happen automatically, or for older versions of SimpleMind Free, you can do this manually. Read how…
Can I keep working with the mind maps I made in the Trial version?
SimpleMind shares the mind maps and settings with the SimpleMind Trial. After installing SimpleMind Pro you continue working where you left off. You do not need to transfer your files.
Only if you purchase SimpleMind Desktop for Mac via the App Store, you need to manually transfer the mind maps. Read how…
Android and iPad/iPhone- Problems installing SimpleMind?
Download and (re-)install for Android and iPad/iPhone is not handled by SimpleApps, but by the store where you purchased SimpleMind (Google Play Store / App Store). If you have any problems, please contact the store.
Mac – Problems installing SimpleMind?
- SimpleMind won’t start, I see an activation window.
This means you still need to activate SimpleMind. Check this video.
- I purchased SimpleMind Pro, but still see “30-day Trial has expired”
The SimpleMind Trial and SimpleMind Pro are two different applications. Make sure to start the right SimpleMind.app and replace the shortcut in the dock.
App Store edition
Did you purchase via the Mac App Store? Download and (re-)install are handled the App Store only, not by SimpleApps. If you have any problems, see Apple’s Support
Windows – Problems installing SimpleMind?
- SimpleMind won’t start, I see an activation window.
This means you still need to activate SimpleMind. Check this video.
- I purchased SimpleMind Pro, but still see “30-day Trial has expired”
This means the trial version was not replaced with SimpleMind Pro. Make sure you downloaded and installed SimpleMind Pro.
Does the problem persist? This is usually caused by a virus scanner or something similar that blocked replacing the trial edition. To work around this, first uninstall the trial. Next temporarily disable the virus scanner and re-download and re-install SimpleMind Pro from the activation e-mail.
Note: uninstalling the trial will not delete your existing mind maps.
- I am unable to download/the download file is corrupt
If you get an error message stating that the downloaded setup file is corrupt, this is either because the download was incomplete, or a virus scanner has blocked the download. You need to temporarily disable the virus scanner and re-download the setup.
- The virus scanner blocked the download.
Recently some virus scanners report the trial contains a virus or a trojan. This is a false positive and you can install safely. Should this happen, please send us a screenshot of the notification and a screenshot of what virus definitions you use. We will contact your virus scanner provider to update their virus definitions. If the download is blocked, you need to temporarily disable the virus scanner and re-download SimpleMind.
Start mind mapping
What is mind mapping?
We’ve got some interesting pages for you to read if you’d like to know how to mind map.
How can I create and edit mind maps?
We’ve created a Mind Map Editor help to help you create and edit mind maps with SimpleMind.
Synchronize mind maps across devices
Can I synchronize mind maps across devices?
SimpleMind Pro can synchronize your mind maps across devices using Dropbox or Google Drive. After connecting SimpleMind Pro to Dropbox or Google Drive, mind maps open and save directly from and to that cloud.
How to connect to a cloud?
SimpleMind Pro has native, build-in support for 2 clouds, Dropbox and Google Drive.
Read how to start working with clouds.
How does synchronize work?
SimpleMind synchronizes at regular intervals and at shutdown. To manually force synchronization use the “Synchronize with Cloud” command.
Note: SimpleMind for Windows relies on the cloud app, for example the Dropbox app, for the actual sync. Make sure this is installed and active.
- Open mind maps from within SimpleMind only.
Opening a mind map from outside SimpleMind, for example via the Dropbox app or Finder, imports the mind map as a new local mind map.
- Edit on one device at the same time.
Only one device should edit a mind map at the same time. Sync or shut down SimpleMind before you edit the mind map on another device. Should you edit the same mind map at the same time on another device, a conflict copy is created to avoid loosing information. That way you can decide what version you want to keep, or manually copy changes.
You can share mind maps with others if you use a shared Dropbox or Google Drive folder. Note however: only 1 person should edit the mind map at the same time. You need to sync changes with the cloud before others can change the mind map. Real time collaboration where multiple users simultanously edit the same mind map is not (yet) possible.
- Sync on Windows
SimpleMind for Windows uses External Directories to support saving mind maps in clouds like Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive. This means you can connect to any cloud as long as you this cloud has an app that creates a directory on your computer and syncs that directory to its cloud. SimpleMind relies on this cloud app for the actual synchronization.
All other SimpleMind editions only support Dropbox and Google Drive. Therefore, on Windows only use Dropbox or Google Drive if you want to sync mind maps with iPads, iPhones, Android devices or Macs.
Share, export and import
Share with others
You can share or export mind maps in SimpleMind Pro.
- Share with your own devices:
When using SimpleMind on multiple devices, use Google Drive or Dropbox to synchronize rather than sending files back and forth.
- Share with people who do not have SimpleMind:
We recommend using .pdf for the best quality. This will display the mind map much like you see it in SimpleMind. As the Notes are not visible on-screen, they are also not visible in the .pdf. If you want to share Notes, use .html export (see below). For topics with hyperlinks to web pages, SimpleMind for Mac and SimpleMind for iPad/iPhone insert working links in the pdf.
- Share with others that have SimpleMind:
Use the native .smmx format to allow others to view and edit the mind map. Or even better: use a shared Dropbox or Google Drive folder.
- Share to word processors, spreadsheets or presentations;
When you want to add the mind map as an image to a document, use .png.
When you want to add the mind map as text to the document, use an html outline. You can import this outline in most word processors and in some spreadsheets. This will result in a hierarchical list with topic texts. Each topic has a sub-list containing its sub-topic texts and includes notes, labels and hyper links. Use the numbering options in the word processor to number these lists to your liking.
- Share in another mind map format:
It is possible to share as basic Freemind (.mm) or opml files. This will only export the most basic information like text, notes and hierarchy.
How to share or export mind maps
Please note, sharing is possible only in SimpleMind Pro.
Select from the toolbar or overflow menu → Share Mind Map → Send Mind Map. Choose a format. Select the app to send the mind map to, for example the Mail App.
In the Mind Map editor use the Share icon. Select “Open in…”. Choose a format and use “Open”. Select the app you want to open the file with.
Use Main Menu → Mind Map → Export Mind Map to export a mind map.
Send a mind map by mail by using the Main Menu → Mind Map → Mail.
To export, use Main Menu → Mind Map → Export Mind Map.
To send a mind map by mail, use Main Menu → Mind Map → Email Mind Map. On some computers SimpleMind cannot access your mail program. You will have to manually export your mind map and use your mail program to attach the exported file to your e-mail.
Importing files and mind maps
SimpleMind can import several file formats.
- Native SimpleMind mind maps (.smmx)
- Back-ups of local mind maps (.smmstore)
Use the .smmstore for back-ups or to move all mind maps to a new device. You should not use this for synchronizing between devices, because it will not overwrite / update already existing mind maps.
- FreeMind (.mm) and .opml files.
SimpleMind imports the basic structure of an .mm or .opml file. SimpleMind extracts text, notes and hierarchy from and ignores all other attributes such as links and icons. Because of this, you should only use this as a one-time import. After you’ve imported the file, SimpleMind stores the mind map in the native .smmx format.
- .Pdf bookmarks (Desktop only)
SimpleMind for Mac and Windows can import the table of contents of a .pdf. SimpleMind creates a new topic for each bookmark with a link back to that page in the .pdf.
This requires an official Table of Contents in the .pdf.
- Import .txt files (Desktop only)
This is an easy way to convert your text files into mind maps. Each new line in the text file creates a new topic, leading tabs are interpreted as hierarchy level.
How do I exchange mind maps with other devices running SimpleMind?
You have multiple options to exchange mind maps with another device running SimpleMind:
- Use Dropbox or Google Drive to automatically synchronize mind maps.
This is the best way if you use SimpleMind on multiple devices or if you want to share mindmaps permanently with someone else.
- Share your mind map via mail or another app for a one-time transfer. Read more…
- iPad/iPhone: SimpleMind has an embedded wifi-link that allows you to manually send mind maps back and forth between iPad/iPhone and SimpleMind Desktop. This wifi-link will be removed in time. We recommend using a cloud instead. Read more…
I cannot share my mind map
Sharing is possible only in SimpleMind Pro. See more Pro features here.
Storing mind map files
Where are mind maps stored?
SimpleMind stores mind maps either:
- Locally on your device or computer.
Local mind maps are stored in a private directory on your device. This directory is not accessible from the outside on mobile devices. In SimpleMind Desktop you can access those local files, but don’t. Modifying, copying or renaming leads to data corruption or even the irreversible loss of mind maps.
- on Dropbox or Google Drive
After connecting SimpleMind to Dropbox or Google Drive, SimpleMind can directly open from, or save to, that cloud. This way you can sync mind maps across devices and platforms.
- Windows – in an External Directory
SimpleMind for Windows uses External Directories to support saving mind maps in clouds like Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive. This means you can connect to any cloud as long as you use the third party app, such as the Dropbox app. SimpleMind relies on this third party app for the actual synchronization.
Please note, all other SimpleMind editions only support Dropbox and Google Drive. Therefore, use Dropbox or Google Drive if you want to sync mind maps with iPads, iPhones, Android devices or Macs.
- Android – in an External Directory
Mind maps can be stored in a public directory on the device. Optionally, you may use a third party app to synchronize this public directory with other devices.
In conclusion, you can store the mind maps in different storages. Local mind maps are stored on your device only, while mind maps stored in the cloud are synced to that cloud.
Do I need to back-up?
The best way to store your mind maps is directly on Dropbox or Google Drive. That way you don’t have to make a manual back-up and at the same time you have access to previous revisions of the mind maps.
Local mind maps are stored on your device only. You do need to back-up these mind maps on a regular basis and store it somewhere safe. That way, even if your device is lost or broken, you have access to your back-up.
Read how to make a back-up.
Do you store mind maps on your servers?
We do not store mind maps on our servers, nor do we have access to your mind maps or data. This means we also cannot restore your mind maps.
My trial expired, have I lost the mind maps?
No, SimpleMind Pro shares the mind maps and settings with the trial version. After installing SimpleMind Pro you continue working where you left in the trial version. Also, uninstalling the SimpleMind trail will not remove your mind maps.
If you purchase SimpleMind via Apple’s App Store you need to manually transfer the mind maps from the trial to SimpleMind Pro App Store edition.
I cannot edit or move topics
If you cannot edit a mind map, for example you are not able to edit the topic text, most likely you’ve zoomed out too much.
Zooming out beyond a certain level will switch the mind map to read-only, this prevents unwanted changes. Zoom in to bring back the normal functionality.
If you prefer to work zoomed out, you can adjust the editor scale.
When topics jump back after you moved them, you’re using an auto layout. Click here to learn more about this and how to change this to a free form layout.
I have trouble printing
When printing, SimpleMind auto-stretches the entire mind map to fit the page size. To use other printing options, such as printing across multiple pages, export the mind map as a .pdf and use the pdf application’s printing options.
SimpleMind Desktop for Mac: Some printers do not print the mind mind correctly. The best work-around is to use Print → click “pdf”→ Open pdf in Preview, use Preview to print the pdf.
Links and/or images don’t work between SimpleMind for Windows and another platform
Most likely, you selected a sub-directory in the Dropbox or Google Drive folder in SimpleMind for Windows. The Dropbox directory needs to end with Dropbox, not Dropbox\Folder. You can check this, by right clicking the cloud tab – properties.
To fix this, disconnect from the cloud and connect again. You won’t loose your mind maps when disconnecting.
I see a trash can image in the mind map.
Deleting a local mind map moves it to the local trash folder. To remind you that you’ve deleted this mind map, the mind map displays a trash can image. To get rid of this, move the mind map to any other folder. The same applies to mind maps accidentally created in the trash folder.
Use “Empty Trash” to completely and irreversibly delete the mind maps in the trash folder.
Which keyboard shortcuts does SimpleMind support?
The “Keyboard shortcuts” in the “SimpleMind Preferences” dialog shows a list of commands with active shortcut keys. Here you also change these shortcuts.
Using the main menu you can explore all keyboard shortcuts. You can assign shortcuts via your Mac’s System Preferences.
Android and iPhone/iPad
- Child topic: Tab
- Sibling topic: Enter
- Cross Link: Command+L or Ctrl+L
- Copy selected element: Command+C or Ctrl+C
- Cut selected element: Command+X or Ctrl+X
- Paste: Command+V or Ctrl+V
- Delete (iPhone/iPad):Backspace
- Delete (Android):Del
- Edit Text: Command+E or Ctrl+E
- Edit Note: Command+N or Ctrl+N
- OK (Android): Ctrl+Enter
- Escape (Android): Cancel
- Navigate between topics: Arrow keys
- Bold font style for selected topics or labels: Command+B or Ctrl+B
- Italic font style for selected topics or labels: Command+I or Ctrl+I
- Toggle Underline font effect for selected topics or labels: Command+U or Ctrl+U
- Undo: Command+Z or Ctrl+Z
- Redo (iPhone/iPad): Shift+Command+Z or Shift+Ctrl+Z
- Redo (Android): Ctrl+Y
Can you restore my mind map?
Mind maps are not stored on our servers, nor do we have access to your mind maps or data. Therefore we cannot restore your mind maps.
If you stored the mind map on Google Drive or Dropbox, use the web interface dropbox.com or drive.google.com to restore (a previous version of) your mind map. Note: after restoring, only use SimpleMind’s Dropbox/Google Drive support to open the restored mind map.
I cannot add a link between 2 topics
Adding cross links (a link between 2 topics that are not hierarchally linked) is only possible in SimpleMind Pro. See more features that are available in SimpleMind Pro here.
I cannot see the list of mind maps – Desktop
Most likely you’ve accidentally hidden the mind map explorer. You can make this visible via the main menu → View → Toggle Mind Map Explorer.
Security and privacy
What data do you collect?
- Android, iPhone/iPad, Mac (App Store)
We do not collect or have access to your personal data nor to your mind maps or any related data (voice memos, images etc.).
- SimpleMind Desktop, as sold via our website
You purchase from on-line MyCommerce. MyCommerce takes case of order processing and delivery. Similar to how you purchase a book from a bookshop, not from the author (us, SimpleApps). After your order completed, MyCommerce forwards us your name, address, e-mail address and product keys. We store this in our customer database. We use this information to send you a copy of your registration details should you ever loose the original. MyCommerce does not give use payment details like credit card numbers. Your data is not shared with or sold to anyone else. We do not have access to your mind maps or any related data (voice memos, images etc.).
Do you share my data with others?
What permissions does the Android edition require – and why?
SimpleMind Pro for Android requires these permissions:
- Access to microphone: required to add voice memos to topics. Recorded voice memos are uploaded to your cloud of choice. Never to our servers. We do not access the microphone for anything else.
- Access to Contacts: required to be able to authorize with Google Drive. This is actually a Google requirement. Connecting to Google Drive is the only place where SimpleMind accesses Contacts. If you don’t connect SimpleMind to Google Drive, SimpleMind won’t need access to Contacts.
- Access to External Storage and Documents: required to be able to exchange data with other apps and to be able to store mind maps in the “External Directory”.
- Access to Internet and Network state: required to be able to synchronize with clouds (Dropbox, Google Drive).
- Install Shortcuts: required to be able to add a shortcut to a mind map on the start screen at user request.
Do I need an account to use SimpleMind?
Does SimpleMind offer password protecting Mind Maps?
No, this is not supported. The mind maps are stored on your device(s) or in the cloud(s) of your choice, not on our servers.
iOS 10.3 breaks Dropbox support – Fixed
With the iOS 10.3 update Apple changed the iPad/iPhone file system (APFS). As a result the SimpleMind dropbox integration may fail if files or directories on Dropbox contain composed letters like Äáčéöñ and many characters from Far East languages, Hebrew and Arabic. For example: a file name like “Café” will fail.
The visible effect is that you can no longer sync a mind map from an iPad / iPhone with Dropbox. Either you see an empty page in the mind map editor, or worse: you see a mind map that’s “disconnected” from changes on Dropbox. Changes you make on other platforms / devices do not get synced. If you create a new mind map on your iPad, only the first version of mind map gets synced to Dropbox. If you check the file revisions via Dropbox’s web-interface www.dropbox.com, you don’t see changes you made your iPad/iPhone listed.
We have fixed this problem and submitted update v1.16.2 to iTuners / App Store. If you use Dropbox, make sure you install that update.
iOS 10.3 breaks Google Drive sign-in on iPhone – Fixed
The iOS 10.3 update breaks signing in with Google Drive on an iPhone. On iOS 10.3, when you try to add Google Drive a blank screen appears and “nothing” happens. On iPad this problem does not appear.
We have released SimpleMind v1.16.1 update for iPad/iPhone that fixes this problem. If you experience this problem, make sure you get the latest update from the App Store.